Grant applications must be received by mail or personal delivery by 4:30 PM on April 1 or October 1. Applications submitted after the stated deadlines will not be considered, neither will incomplete applications.
The Foundation does not make loans nor does it make grants:
• To individuals for any purpose
• To organizations which do not qualify as non-profit under IRS regulations
• To institutions primarily supported by government funds
• For efforts to influence any election or legislation
• For research projects
• For debt retirement
First Time Applicants
1. Call the Executive Director (540.586.5292) to discuss the organization’s proposal and to arrange a meeting. A site visit may be required.
2. Be prepared to discuss the following, regarding the applying organization:
• Financial status
• Non-profit status
• The specific program or need for which the funds will be used
3. Once the Executive Director agrees that the request fits the guidelines of the Foundation, an organization can submit a grant application.
A complete grant application includes the following:
- Cover letter on organization letterhead plus six copies (that’s a total of seven)
- Detailed description of project including the impact if funding is not granted (six copies)
- Project timeline (six copies)
- An estimated number of participants or some measure of project impact on the Bedford community (six copies)
- A project budget (six copies)
Also include one copy of each of the following
- IRS 501(c)(3) documentation
- Current list of Officers and Directors
- Latest financial statement and current budget
NOTE: the entire application must also be submitted electronically to the Foundation using the email address of firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Foundation’s Executive Director will notify the organization of the Board’s decision. Grant recipients are expected to attend a meeting to receive the grant checks. Additionally they are encouraged to deposit grant checks promptly, publicize the award and submit a completed outcome of the project within a stated deadline.
Grant Request Submission
Complete applications must be received by the Foundation on or before the April 1 or October 1 deadline. The Foundation’s office is located on the second floor of the Bedford Central Library. The hours of operation are 9 AM until 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Grant packages can be left at the Library Reference Desk if no one is in the Foundation Office.
Grants can be mailed to Bedford Community Health Foundation, P.O. Box 1104, Bedford, VA 24523.
For questions or information, contact Denny Huff, Executive Director, at 540-586-5292.