Donor Directed Funds
Donor Directed Funds
Donor Advised Fund is a charitable giving option wherein an individual, family or corporation makes a tax-deductible contribution and can recommend grant distributions to qualified organizations. The Foundation will manage and administer the fund for you. This type of fund allows you to create a legacy, rather than a one-time gift.
BCHF also has a number of Field of Interest funds which are restricted to specific purposes.
Types of Field of Interest Funds include:
- Adult Day Care – provides funds for Adult Day Services such as treatment, socialization and supplies.
- Hospice – services to assist with the costs for a hospice provider to assist with end of life services.
- Nutrition – provides funds for nutrition related programs and services.
- EMS (Emergency Medical Services) – provides funds to assist professional and volunteer rescue crews.
- Scholarships – enables Bedford County residents to pursue health related education through financial assistance.
BCHF is dedicated to making Bedford a healthier place in which to live. By creating or contributing to any of these funds, you can give back to your community, while influencing the direction of your giving in an informed and active way.
There is no fee for establishing the fund. BCHF charges an annual fee of 2% of the fund balance for administering the fund. Donors are kept informed of the fund’s activity and grant recipients.
For more information, please call the Bedford Community Health Foundation at (540) 586-5292 and ask to speak to Denny Huff.
Donor Designated Funds
Donor Designated Funds are similar, in most ways, to Donor Advised Funds. There is, however, one significant difference. When setting up a Donor Designated Fund, the donor makes it clear that the proceeds of the fund are to be distributed to one specific charitable organization of the donor’s own choosing.
Create your fund now, establish it in your will, or create it through a trust arrangement that benefits your family as well as charity. Tax deductions are earned at the time of your gift, while grants awarded from your fund will continue into the future.
We offer a variety of funds that are flexible to meet our donors’ different charitable interests:
- Unrestricted Funds allow grants to be made to wherever our community’s needs are the greatest. A single donation can benefit multiple health organizations and you get one acknowledgement letter for tax purposes.
- Field-of-Interest Funds create grants that meet needs in a particular field or area that is of interest to you.
- Donor-Advised Funds enable you to recommend specific organizations to receive grants.
- Scholarship Funds help students pursue academic goals.
- Designated Funds let you support specific organizations that serve Bedford area residents, while we make sure the grants to these groups remain relevant over time and responsive to changing circumstances.
- Organizational Endowment Funds are established by nonprofit organizations to provide them with additional income.
Through gifts to the Bedford Community Health Foundation you can improve the quality of life for area residents and at the same time realize financial advantages for yourself. There are a number of ways to contribute to the Foundation with tax benefits available based on the amount and type of donation. Because BCHF is an endowment fund, a donation or gift becomes an investment in the health of the community in perpetuity.
Donation: Donations to BCHF are used to help fund numerous organizations that serve Bedford County residents. You have the ability to specify your donation to one of our restricted funds or towards community health in general.
Membership: Becoming a member of BCHF allows you not only to give to improve the health of your fellow citizens but to also help create a legacy of health for many years to come.
Planned Giving: Providing for your friends and neighbors in your will is one of the easiest ways to show that you care deeply about the people here and the beautiful area we call home. You can specify that some of your assets go to the Foundation for programs and scholarships aimed at improving health care and the delivery of health services. When the assets you designate are passed on to us your estate can take a charitable deduction, reducing the estate taxes that must be paid.
Whether you decide to focus your donations specifically on the health of Bedford residents or another health related cause, you can give in a way that leaves a lasting legacy. Since BCHF is an endowment fund, a donation or gift becomes an investment in the health of the community in perpetuity. There are plenty of needs right here in Bedford. You can help shape a part of Bedford’s future and leave your personal mark on our community.
For more than twenty years the Bedford Community Health Foundation has served the health-related needs of the residents of Bedford City and County, Virginia, by providing grants to eligible nonprofit organizations, as well as identifying unmet health needs and creating programs to address those issues.